UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS TEAM
Location: Urbana, Illinois
Dates: May 26 to August 14, 2021 (about 12 weeks)
Internship category: Intercultural Studies
What would your summer mission trip look like?
At the University of Illinois, it is not uncommon to have interactions with students from China, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, India and Iran… In just one week! With more than 13,000 international students representing 110 different countries, the nations have truly come to this Big Ten University in central Illinois.
We believe the U of I is one of the most strategic places to reach internationals in the US. One day many of these students will also return to their home countries as future industry leaders. What an opportunity to welcome the foreigner among us! And what an even greater opportunity to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ to those who may have never had an opportunity to hear it.
As an Edger, you will be a part of our summer missions internship called The Sowers. The Sowers aims to train participants toward cross-cultural ministry effectiveness. Sowers will focus on four particular areas of development.
- First and foremost, the aim of Sowers is to develop the spiritual disciplines and rhythms that will enable you to thrive as a disciple of Christ—wherever you live and serve. Your relationship with God and growing in Christ-like character are by far the most important aspects of preparation for ministry. (See Deuteronomy 6:5, Romans 12:2)
- Secondly, through Sowers we hope to equip our interns with a biblical backbone that provides a foundation for ministry clarity and effectiveness. (See 1 Timothy 4:6-10)
- Thirdly, we hope that Sowers will give you tools and experiences that increase your ministry effectiveness. There is no substitute for a prayerful reliance on God and faithfully handling His Word. But we hope that these ministry tools will increase your faith as you put into practice the things you learn. (See 1 Timothy 4:11-16)
- Lastly, we hope that Sowers will help you develop disciplines that work toward maturity in Christ. (See Ephesians 4:13)
2021 International Student Mission Trip Activities (subject to change)
- Experience and serve in a contextualized house-church model
- Join international student organizations to meet and befriend internationals while on campus
- Teach English courses to international students
- Participate in missions mentorship
- Help lead Bible studies and grow in teaching the Word
- Read and discuss books that will spur your love for God and zeal for His glory
- Commit to a lifestyle of dependence on God through prayer
- Grown in self-awareness and knowledge of your giftings